View Single Post
Old 09-26-2023, 02:39 PM   #7
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
We had this happen on our last trip a couple weeks ago where we didn’t notice that a box slid in the gap when the slide was closed and we opened the slider pulling the bed frame away - we heard it wondering what the noise was but stopped too late. It was weakened from another time when we overloaded the underbed storage.

Our 2021 3231 seemed to have at least a plywood panel in the area where it connects so it wasn’t too hard to fix. I thought about using L brackets to reinforce the frame to the slide floor but a little concerned as the break from the wall seems to be a “safety” of sorts being the weakest link. If the bed frame is connected to the floor and it gets stressed in the same way with a box jam as ours did, the result could be worse - imo it could damage the slide mechanism or the housing (the box). (I’m a newbie so could be totally wrong about this.)

Maybe you can attach a stringer or plywood panel across where ever the studs are in your slide wall. And then attach the bed frame to it. Be careful you don’t make the mattress act “longer” if you add any supports - our mattress is net to dresser and the slide would “bulge” if the mattress was father from slide wall in the closed position.

One other watch out is even if you didn’t overeload your bed storage, the design where the bed frame is cantilevered can stress the wall when the slide is in (or partially open) if someone craws across the bed or travels with stuff on the bed. One solution is to add blocks and carpet squares or rollers under the bed frame to help support it. (I went with rollers). If this is done, the supports have to be attached where they won’t interfere with the rollers on the floor when the slide is opened.
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote