View Single Post
Old 10-01-2023, 05:39 PM   #13
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
Before the IS, I was replacing leaf springs and u bolts at least 2 times per year. We even moved up to the six-leaf springs, up from the OEM five leaves. I became a pro at changing them, and kept 5 sets of hardware on hand at all times, with all of the tools ready for the inevitable side-of-the-highway incident (which occurred).

I thought we were overweight. But, when we checked on the CAT scales, we were slightly below weight for the springs' max load. They should not have been breaking.

As an engineer, I prefer to have a little head room when dealing with maximums. So, when we ended up at MorRyde, we not only swapped out the suspension for the I/S, but also bumped up to the MorRyde 8K axles and the disc breaks.

1) The I/S suspension is much heavier than a simple bunch of leaf springs, so they add a few hundred pounds to the trailer weight. If we were close to Max prior to the I/S upgrade, we would be over Max if we stayed at 7K axles
2) with 8K axles, we could also upgrade to the better Goodyear G114 tires and larger 9/16 lugnuts that take up to 125 psi. This is a different class than the OEM tires IMHO
3) The disc brakes are much much better than the electric magnets, IMHO. My magnets were mediocre at best, and often one of the four wheels just did not work, even after verifying the electrical connection to the circuitry.
4) Finally, IMHO the ride is smoother with the I/S, and the laser alignment that they do during installation starts you off with a properly-aligned machine, which should help with your tire wear.

We are full timers, and since getting the I/S in May 2020 we have over 21,000 miles on the I/S, and couldn't be happier with the $11K investment (including all new wheels, rims, disc brakes, and 8K axles). I will not purchase my next full-timer RV without something equivalent.

My two cents!
FlexArmor roof 2021, Starlink
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote