Thread: A rare bird
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2023, 07:23 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I remember my first turkey. I was squirrel hunting in Bath County Va about 90 miles from home and I was 16. A turkey flew up to roost. I thought it was 200 yards in reality it was closer to 75 yards. I took careful aim with me 22 LR pulled the trigger and it fell out of the tree. I ran down to it expecting it to run off. I had shot to through the neck. It was dead before it hit the ground.
My best shot was at a groundhog at a measured 1005 yards. It’s videoed you can see the vapor trail go up and out of sight. Then come back in sight and go straight to the groundhog. I tried a 1010 yard shot the same afternoon. This time the bullet hit a couple of inches behind him. If you put your finger on the screen where the bullet hit and rewind you will see if he stayed still the bullet would have hit in front of him but he started to move as I touched the trigger and he moved far enough the bullet hit behind him.
That will never happen again because the coyotes have accomplished what we would never do, wipe out all the groundhogs.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote