View Single Post
Old 10-24-2023, 08:30 AM   #5
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
no third a/c

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Some people have had a heavier duty hitch installed to remove any doubt about the capabilities of towing a trailer. And I have seen some pretty heavy trailers being towed behind a 5er.

There are any number of web sites on the web about it but they sometimes do not always agree on what each state allows. Note that is often referred to as "triple towing". That is a term typically used in the RV world to describe a tow vehicle and two towed vehicles, meaning three vehicles, meaning triple tow. In the commercial towing world it is called double tow or double bottom. A quick search shows some sites show Texas does not allow it, whereas others say Texas does allow it. Unless something has changed, Texas does allow it. It would be best to check directly with each state you plan to tow in to make sure it is allowed, and the total allowable overall length if they do allow it. Especially important if you plan on towing across multiple states.
I thought if your registered state allows it you are good in any state you travel through. I travel up and down the East Coast and see triple tow people in all the different states from time to time. Maybe they're just renegades. Personally, I wouldn`t trust the hitch on the back of any factory trailer. There are many bolt/weld-to-the-frame receivers for sale on the net rated for more than the crap keystone provides. Of course, this will void the warranty if you do.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote