View Single Post
Old 11-06-2023, 07:52 AM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I would recommend Ak!! It takes more planning and prep time than the other trips. I forget the exact name, but there is a paperback 'book' put out yearly about the trip. Has the latest in roadside businesses that have closed etc. Also places to eat, etc.

I left AZ July 7 and went up the west to Port Angeles, Wa. Took a ferry to Victoria. Spent 3 days or so there, and then took a ferry to Anecortes, WA instead of on into Canada. That ferry is run by Wa and they had a 1/2 price sale! LOL Then drove (I think less than 20 miles to the border and crossed customs again. But if no price difference you can just straight to canada and not go thru customs at all on this stretch. This takes you to Hyder early August with bears most years.
I think it is a US National forest thing or something. They write ups say there is a 10 foot high board walk about 300 ft along a creek. Let me tell you it is only about 4-5 feet in a few places which was a little troublesome!!! LOL Bears were more interested in the salmon in the creek than anything else, tho.
Then on up to Tok, Fairbanks, Anchorage, the Kenai, and home.

OH, if you feel adventurous you can do the Top of the World highway. Not for the timid. From Whitehorse,go north instead of west. Dawson City is the destination. Don't know if it still in business, but Diamond Gerty's Saloon is , ehem, interesting! The road from there crosses the river on a free ferry, then on a dirt/gravel road that is smoother than many paved roads. The problem we had in this route is at the border. The USA tries to fool you into thinking it is a nice road. Well pavement goes about 7 miles and then dirt. And stretches are one lane with no pull outs for sections maybe 1/8 mile long. Also there was a sort of boulder right in the middle of the road you drive over!!! We made it and then we got to the famous town of Chicken AK. A gas station and 2-3 places serving food - one of them served chicken, our course.
Anyway this is a brief description. First trip was 2010 but missed Hyder bears so went again in 2016 and ALSO did the Top of the World. We will never forget the many adventures on this trip, which is why I vote for AK over the other trips. Good luck where ever you go.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote