View Single Post
Old 11-17-2023, 02:45 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I've had my Montana High Country for 5 years now and in all those 5 years there are no 2 places anywhere in my camper with the same temperature. I have 1 furnace, 41 foot long fifth wheel. The upper level is always hotter than the lower level, and mine is a front living model with no wall between upper and lower level. The thermostat is, pretty much, in the middle of the trailer on an inside wall (Dometic), no "In-Command" system on mine. And I'm pretty sure the temperature sensor is at my Dometic thermostat on the wall. I keep an inside - outside thermometer right next to the thermostat so I know what the true temperture is at that spot. And, the two temperatures are always different. The Dometic thermostat always has to be set higher than the actual temperature based on the separate thermometer right next to it. Add the electric fire place and a space heater or two and the temps throughout the camper are even more bizarre different. Let's not even go there with the air conditioner differences ... and those differences are right at the ceiling vents with 2 AC's, one in the front, one in the back. We've learned how to compensate, pretty much, at ever square inch inside the camper.

What causes the differences in temps throughout the camper? Drafts, windows, thin insulation, sun shining on one side of the camper and not the other, one half of the trailer under trees and the other end in the sun, windows, shades up or shades down, exhaust fans turned on in the bathroom or kitchen, all a number of factors.

"Kentucky windage" is what you have to use in your camper when it comes to heat and cooling:

Kentucky windage:
Summarizer
Kentucky windage is a shooting technique used by marksmen to compensate for bullet drop and wind drift.0 It involves applying a horizontal adjustment of the point of aim for wind without the use of any physical or mechanical adjustments on the weapon.2 The technique was first used by hunters in Kentucky and has since spread to other parts of the world. It involves estimating the amount of drop and drift, and adjusting the aim accordingly.0 In work-life, Kentucky windage is a correction made by adjusting where you aim rather than adjusting the rifle. It involves intentionally overestimating the amount of slack you bake into your work rhythm.1
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote