View Single Post
Old 11-20-2023, 03:49 PM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenOC View Post
I am thinking about buying a used 5th wheel that comes with a factory installed Xantrex Freedom X 1200 inverter. From what I understand this inverter has a built-in automatic transfer switch.

1. Am I correct?

2. None of the outlets are labeled “inverter”. Does this mean all the 110 volt A/C outlets are connected to the inverter?

3. If I want to have more AC wattage, can I add another inverter in parallel with the existing inverter? Or should I scrap the existing inverter and purchase one with the larger wattage?

I know the amp hour of the batteries is something I will have to consider.
It would be helpful if you listed your year and model.
The inverters have a built in TS as scottz stated. I doubt the factory would spec a 1200 watt inverter for the whole house. 3K or 4K watts maybe.
A 1200 wouldn't have been installed for just the residential fridge so it must be connected to other outlets. See the attachment. The previous owner could have removed the yellow stickers. As far as upgrading for more wattage, no you can't wire in parallel. You could replace the 1200 with a larger inverter. But now you have to do some math. What exactly are you looking to run on inverted 12 volts. The inverted 120 volts are only as good as the battery bank. If you're looking to run an AC then you'll need a fat amount of amp hours. You would have to upgrade to 400+ AH of lithium. I have 200 AH of lithium. With inverter on and everything off, just the parasitic load of 10 to 12 amps draws my batteries down to 60% in 8 or 9 hours. It would take 2 + hours to recharge. With solar my will reach 100% in 4 or 5 hours of sun. Otherwise I'm running the gen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Flex 400 Wiring.png
Views:	42
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	15976