View Single Post
Old 11-30-2023, 08:15 AM   #19
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Please note, I did not disagree or agree with the concept of having or adding slide toppers to anyone's camper by pointing out the video above. I was simply wanting the poster to be aware of some of the issues involved when making a decision as such.

Namely, as other pointed out following, the slope of the topper can make or break a good experience. Also, where it actually attaches to the camper (both on the slide itself and the wall of the camper) is the most crucial element to consider.

In considering the logistics of installing, is that lip on the front top of the camper strong enough to support the end of the topper? And, if you put screws through that raised lip, will those screws come completely through that very thin lip and hit the rubber seals or scar up, or worse, punch holes into the outside wall of the trailer when the slides are retracted?

The logistics of the camper itself is the most important factor. And then, if anyone decides to go this route, can they logistically be installed on all the slides or just specific ones.

On my Montana, slide toppers would work fine on the front slides (front living room), but would not work for the rear bed-room. The back half of the camper roof slopes downward. There's not enough clearance to install a roller, making it high enough to add a topper. Add to that, that upper lip on the top of the slide extends almost 4 inches above the roof of the slide. If installing the topper, it would have to be attached so high on the slide outside end would be higher than the attached end to the trailer wall. Everything would flow backwards.

I think that is the take away I was hoping the OP would pick-up on. Logistically, can it actually be attached. And the roller part that is attached to the outside wall of the trailer, is there enough stuff in the wall that's solid enough to screw into to attach the roller.

That is take away from the video I was hoping everyone would catch.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote