View Single Post
Old 01-07-2024, 05:05 PM   #8
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
I find this stuff fascinating as well. Please keep it coming, as much as you're inclined. I eat it up.

About true Southern history and culture--I grew up in Missouri, which is strongly Midwestern in some aspects and areas, and pretty Southern in others. Missouri was a border state during the Civil War, with lots of supporters for both sides living within the same close areas. And I grew up in Callaway County, Missouri, which I think seceded from the Union and never officially rejoined! Callaway County is also known as "The Kingdom of Callaway."

Since high school I've lived in Minnesota briefly, then much longer in both Massachusetts and Oregon, and for the past 20+ years in Alabama--and it's just amazing, the different perceptions people have of other parts of the country, depending on what part of the country they themselves grew up in.

I thought I grew up basically in the South--there's a part of Central Missouri actually called "Little Dixie"--but no, Alabama is a whole different South. Alabama is the South, for real. I hated it here for a long time, but I actually love it here now.

Of course the whole country seems to be moving these days, from one state to another, and regional differences are fading, which I think is a bummer.
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote