Thread: Impact wrench
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2024, 08:56 AM   #17
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I have the same Dewalt as scottz, as well as an IR pneumatic impact and agree 100% with what he says. This is a big heavy gun that WILL get the job done. While the mid size guns may get the lug nuts off most cars you need to remember that these trucks and trailers have specs up to about 150 ft. Lbs. You also have no idea how ham fisted the guy who last tightened your lug nuts was! One thing I’ve found to be true over the years is that you can’t believe the manufacturer’s stated max torque rating. In my experience they don’t even come close! When tightening lug nuts I always tighten to a low setting with the gun and then torque to spec with a good torque wrench. Something else to remember when using an impact wrench is that you have no real tactile feel for how tight you are getting your fastener and it’s very easy to over torque and break or strip your fastener. Most important of all is to remember that a battery operated impact is totally worthless if the battery is dead, so make sure it is always charged, and keep a long break over or cheater bar with you just in case!