View Single Post
Old 02-28-2024, 04:27 PM   #15
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
You buy a warranty for the same reason you buy life insurance. You hope you never need it. That said, when we had our 3931FB we had Wholesale Warranties. If you FT IMHO they are worthless.

The problem with warranties is not the warranty but getting service. We lived FT in our monty for 3 years. In the 3 years we lived on the road I performed every repair on our rig except to repair the ice damage from the deep freeze of 2021. FEMA covered most of that cost. What we discovered was it took not just weeks to get repairs made through a dealer, but most times 1 to 2 months. If you live in your RV FT a prerequisite is being able to make repairs on the road by YOURSELF or with the DW.

I remember coming back from FL and looking in the side mirror to see coroplast, wires and tubing hanging down from under the door. The coroplast had come loose from the staples and was hanging down, flapping as we drove. We found a Home Depot, bought self tapping lug bolts and fender washers. We then drove to the nearest interstate rest stop (as it was almost 5pm). I disconnected and crawled under the rig to make the repair and spend the night. Many of you have seen my posts on repairs to the refrigerator, half bath door and others. When you have no place to live but your monty self knowledge, your own ability and this forum is absolutely a must. Otherwise you're in for a miserable time.

The freeze of 2021 busted faucets, toilets, and the water pump. We were outside Ft Worth (Parker Co) when the County lost power. Parker Co didn't get electricity on for 10 days. At the time we didn't have a generator so everything froze up. Once it thawed we took it to United RV in Ft Worth (which I highly recommend) I had built a good working relationship with them buying parts. We moved into an extended stay hotel and it took 2 months to get it repaired through FEMA. The big delays were getting approval from FEMA for the repairs and a shortage of parts. Once United had the parts it only took 3-4 days to make the repairs. This is where a good working relationship with a good dealer comes into play. They were willing to move us up in line because of the relationship.

I know this was long. But warranties for FT RVing is useless. If you're mechanically or technically challenged, take your money and enroll in an RV repair class. It will be better spent. Just my $0.02 worth.
Member #21728
2019 3931FB
2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW
B&W Companion Slider 20K
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote