View Single Post
Old 03-09-2024, 11:49 AM   #1
Ernrays
Established Member

M.O.C. #22872
Old EPDM Roof / New Roof?

We own a 2008 Montana Mountaineer. Love it. It has been in the "family" since it was new: brother had it (he was a maintenance guru) and then me (kinda sorta). When not out camping (4 months per year), it is in a covered storage area.

This 5th wheel has the original EPDM roof. Gets cleaned regularly. The roof gets checked at least annually, usually more often. To date, no leaks or cracks or splits or the like. I keep the joints and junctions of the roof units coated with Dicore self-leveling caulk. Just the same, the roof is now 16 years old.

I have been doing a fair amount of reading on the web and forums about sealing the roof. Some sites say to do it, some say don't. I could care less about how pretty it looks (image); I'm strictly into function (a.k.a, keep the water out of the 5th). There is some bubbling of the EPDM roof material near the edges of the roof but no pull aways at the side rails.

I'm not excited about replacing the roof; less so about roof failure and leaks. We live in the mountain west; the RV is used at 9,000 feet with afternoon showers fairly common, and lots of wind.

I'd appreciate some feedback from those with older Montana's that haven't sealed or replaced their roofs (or know what other users did) and what the consequences are/were.

Thx, Ernrays
Ernrays is offline   Reply With Quote