View Single Post
Old 03-18-2024, 09:17 AM   #55
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Today is March 18. We'll be returning back to Indiana, leaving on Saturday, March 30. I just scheduled an overnight at Hugh White State Park in Grenada, Mississippi for that overnight (about 300 miles drive the first day), and will drive the remaining 500 miles from there to home on Sunday.

We thought about driving straight through to home, but that would probably end up being a 16 hour day (the way I drive --- slow)... and that's just too hard on my old body.

The time at Oakley Plantation has been wonderful. There are not enough words in the dictionary to describe how enriched my life is now because of my time spent here. I am now, not only doing tours of the plantation house, but also doing demonstrations and talks in the Blacksmith shop and giving historical snap shots of what enslaved plantation life was like here (outside of the "big house.") The two lifestyles were universes apart from each other. When I come back in October, November, December this year, they want me to get involved with the "black power" (guns) demonstrations too.

I think the folks who are full time employees, volunteers, and even the prison work-release crew that comes in daily to help keep the grounds spotless clean, have all become a new family. My wife and I have been talking between us, really don't feel a "pull" to return to Indiana, except for the purpose of doctor visits, pet vet visits, and picking up our next round of 3 month supplies of medications. We've seriously considered just staying in Louisiana. But, reality is, I know we won't. But, it's really sad at the thought of leaving. I would have never dreamed in all my life that such a place would grow on me so much. Well, this place has.

I feel so privileged to have been a part of all of this, if only for a short while. As I'm learning more and more about the times and culture of America from 1800-1900 hundred, the good, the bad, the ugly (and all 3 existed at the same time, for sure).

I have a few days remaining at my current "post". But is quickly winding down.

For what it's worth, on March 10, my wife and I celebrated our 39th wedding anniversary, and I turn 69 on April 16. The dogs absolutely love this place. It's wonderful to take them on walks around the park and we are the only people here. They go bonkers sniffing the tracks of all the wild animals here. Every walk with them is a new adventure. They love this park too. It's wonderful NOT having to worry about traffic, other dogs, noisy camping neighbors, lights on all night, kids running through your camping space, cars running up and down the road all the time. Peace, solitude, quiet, and tranquility for 3 months has ben beyond priceless.

Again... I encourage everyone to consider doing volunteer service somewhere, in an area you would never normally consider. It's amazing how much your participation enriches your life. But again, you only take away the effort you put into it also. The more you do, the greater the reward. That's something money can never buy!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote