View Single Post
Old 03-22-2024, 06:58 AM   #56
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
New Update!

Worked out all our "personal" affairs and we'll be returning to Oakley Plantation (Audubon State Historic Site) near St. Francisville for the months of May and June (2024). We'll go back to Indiana for the month of April to take care of business, (Doctor visit, vet visits, truck maintenance, birthdays, wash-clean trailer and truck, get our income tax work done before April 15, stock up on CASH again) and head back "South" for another 2 months.

Then, we'll leave Oakley at the end of June and head straight over to North Carolina for another 2 months as a camp host there (Pilot Mountain State Park). Then back home for the month September (Indiana), again,... to resupply cash, Dr. Visits, truck maintenance, etc ...... and then back to Louisiana (Oakley) for Oct, Nov, Dec.

To continue. ... back to Indiana for January and February (Yuck .... stinking cold weather) and then back to Louisiana again for March, April, May 2025!

Wow! I'm so excited about coming back to Oakley. After months of studying the history of Louisiana and learning so many things about the workings of this plantation, putting myself into handling almost every artifact on the property, .... inventory, cleaning, polishing, taking photos, working the grounds and doing tours, I really don't want to loose all that information in my head. Returning again in a month, keeping all this living history in my head, and being able to continue to stay at this park is a real joy and delight. I feel so privileged to do this!

Well, we are still NOT full timers since we return home two months this year in 2024, but dang .... we sure are close! My son is taking care of the house just fine! When I get home in April, I'll switch over the John Deere mower from winter (snow blower), to "lawn" mower deck mode so he can mow the grounds! And he's doing marvelous taking care of those 3 chickens ... by the way ... they are laying eggs again. He's stock piled about 2 dozen eggs already. They started laying again about a month ago. (you know, range free chickens living in "nature" and not in a hot house factory, stop laying eggs over the winter months).

So, my wife and I are thrilled! We're enjoying the benefits of a free campsite, complete isolation, and a 100 acre park with nature trails. We're located close to Batton Rouge, and New Orleans, only 5 miles from the Mississippi River, experience the River Boat Cruise line visitors coming to the park, doing the tours, walking the grounds and just sharing with people about the history of this place.

This type of "work" is definitely far different than doing "conventional" campground hosting of collecting fire wood money, cleaning fire pits, and checking people in after 5:00 pm. But, I truly enjoy doing that type of volunteer work also.

Happy camping! Yep! My wife and I are extremely delighted we are coming back again so soon. (we leave Oakley on March 30).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote