View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 07:51 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Anniversary .....

For my truck!

Yesterday (March 25), we purchased our dually (in my signature below), ten years ago. She's been a real champ. She's now got 95,000 miles on her. According to everyone and everything I've ever read, diesels are "just" getting broke in at 100,000 miles! So, I'm hoping for another 10 years at least.

No rust yet, on the old girl that I've seen. I get regular, on-schedule, maintenance done, and follow my mechanic's suggestions and advise when things are due to get done.

She's coming up on the 100,000 mile mark soon. I'll be getting all that 100,000 miles preventative maintenance done very soon. We're still in Louisiana and have about a 900 miles trip to get home, taking off Saturday morning (March 30). Then turning right around on May 27 and heading back to Louisiana, then leaving Louisiana on June 29 so we can arrive in North Carolina for 2 months (July and August), then back to Indiana for one month (September) and then back to Louisiana for Oct, Nov, Dec.

So, with all the planned travel, I'll no doubt be getting all that 100,000 miles preventative maintenance done while home (in Indiana) in April, because the next opportunity will be September and I'll be past the 100,000 miles mark then.

Now, don't get me wrong, we haven't been without problems with our beloved Dually. We had a turbo charger go out in the 2nd year. We had problems with the tow brake controller (a relay switch) twice, new tires eventually, replaced batteries once, wind shield wipers twice, we had a coolant leak that cost a small fortune to fix and 2 attempts. On Star cancelled us, said our system was out-dated now, so we dropped it completely. Just just wanted more money. We said, Heck NO! I just had another key made and keep it in a safe place in the event we get locked out now.

We had the old girl completely paid in full in the 3rd year of owner ship, so doing a repair or a maintenance check has not been so threatening, financially. It's a lot, lot cheaper than buying a new truck for sure.

She's still strong, driving good, handles the fifth wheel great, get's about 19 mpg when not towing (diesel) and still drops down to about 9.5 - 10 when towing at 60 mph. Tires are all good, and my Recon Fifth Wheel hitch is still servicing us flawlessly.

She's got a little dent in one of the fat fenders that's been there for almost 10 years now. Someone in a parking lot hit the finder and ran. I never got it fixed. It was kind of a humbling experience, having a noticeable flaw on the truck. I was dang proud of that beast when we first bought it. The dent brought me back to reality, don't be too proud. God gives, and God takes! Just be thankful for what you've got while you've got it and stay humble. Not everyone has the same fortune as you, and as quickly as you receive it, it can just as quickly be lost.

I'm constantly reminded of that every time I see the dent. Its also is a stern reality check every time I get in the truck to remember, this trip in the truck could be my last .... so drive sensible and nothing is THAT important to drive like an idiot and perhaps cost me my life or the lives of those in the truck with me.

She's a good truck ... 10 year ownership now! Still going strong. I really do hope for at least another 10 years.

Happy camping everyone!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote