View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 08:24 AM   #19
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubs View Post
I've been pulling 5th wheels around for 20+ years and gave religiously ALWAYS done then pull test prior to leaving a camp site. We drove over 30 miles down hilly HYW 93 with lots of turns and twists prior to it coming undone! I can not explain why, but this did happen! Oh, I also do a visual inspection all around the truck and trailer prior to pulling out. I can NOT explain this but BW is looking into it.
I agree , the pull test is something that should be done . But IMO, and some have stated , I’ve ALWAYS visually checked to see if that plate of the fifth wheel is tight against the plate of the hitch . Although when I back in I’ve made sure that fifth wheel is couple inches lower than the hitch , so the fifth wheel slides up , and on the hitch preventing any chance of a high hitch .

The high hitch scenario, is something you haven’t addressed, do you know for sure that you were sitting flat on that hitch?
I know you mention visually checking around everything thing , But did you actually see that pin box sitting tight against the hitch . Those hitches are mechanical, jaws are closed , and the locking pin is in place , they can’t open ,unless they actually break . I very much doubt that hitch had anything to do with you coming undone , it sounds like a classic high hitch . It’s something you haven’t verified in your posts , a visual check if the fifth wheel was flat against the hitch .

As you said , you are very lucky . I’m curious, but I’m sure doubtful B&W will find anything wrong with that hitch . Hopefully you will be in contact with them , and report back on their findings . Also as mentioned you’ll be making sure you are flat against the hitch in the future.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote