View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 09:26 AM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernrays View Post
This forum has saved me a ton of money, keeping me from doing repairs the wrong way. In searching the web and this forum, I haven't found a consensus on fixing a potential problem under the EPDM membrane of my roof (which is over 15 years old).

Take a look at the attached picture. I think that it is a screw that is working itself out. It hasn't poked through the membrane yet, but it is a concern. It is located about a 24" behind the front and 12" inside of the edge of the Montana.

Questions: Do I need to fix it? If so, how should I fix it?

The only thread I found said to (1) cut a small slit in the EPDM, (2) remove the screw, (3) put some Dicor in the screw hole, (4) put the screw back in the hole and add more Dicor, (5) then push the EPDM membrane back together and cover the area with more Dicor (self leveling).

Pretty simple, but should I be cutting the EPDM membrane? Other than this, the roof looks reasonably good given its age except for a number of small (about the size of a quarter) bubbles near the edges on both sides.

Thx, and safe travels....
I thing that's a staple, could be a screw. I don't know if they used screws back then. You could leave it alone and chance it never comes through. You could Dicor seal it or you could call these guys.
https://wecanfixthat.com/
This is the company Keystone uses. They just removed and repaired 11 staples on my roof. The slice the area, remove the staple, inject a compound into the slice, apply the compound on top of the slice. Heat and roll it flat. It galvanizes to the existing roof. Same process for commercial roof repairs.