View Single Post
Old 04-25-2024, 11:17 AM   #19
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66Rambler View Post

Use the bath house as much as possible. That is where most of your water is used. ...
Because I have used my Barker Blue Tote so much, I can honestly say the heaviest water usage in our camper is the kitchen sink as I've tracked the amount of water this way, multiple times. Now, when washing dishes outside there is no water going into the gray tank, agree... the tank can go for days. But the actual water usage is still highest for our kitchen sink.

Next is the bathroom grey tank. Why? Well, mostly because we have a washing machine. It takes approximately 8 gallons of water to run one wash cycle. We have always done "Navy Showers" and our water usage "there" is always minimal. It's the washing machine that fills the grey tank in the bathroom.

With that said, that's actually a good thing. When back-flushing the grey tank into the black, all that laundry soap water is back-flushing out the black tank. This helps keep the black tank clean and odor free.

Again, I back flush every single time I dump my black tank. I never miss.

Advantages: Tank is always clean , no smells, no poop pyramids. Conserves water / recycles the grey water for another purpose and don't have to refill the black tank to flush it out with even more fresh water. It is a great way to clean your black tank, especially if boon docking with limited fresh water.

Disadvantages: You need to attach a 3rd valve (Flush King) or something similar to the discharge pipe. It takes a few extra minutes of time to accomplish the back flush. You have to be aware of how much water remains in your grey tank each time you back flush, so there is enough at the end to do a final rinse of your sewer hose. Remember to close off the grey water tank valve before releasing the black tank. This way, no black tank "stuff" will back-feed into the grey tank.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote