Thread: Choosing a GPS
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 06:52 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
PJ, Street Atlas and Streets and Trips can also occasionally route you off the freeway and back on the other side. That's why I always go over the route closely before leaving on a trip. I think it has to do with the road being on a curve and the software set to take the shortest route. The route is shorter to take the exit and then re-enter than to stay on the freeway. Being an old computer programmer and system designer it drives me nuts to see this kind of sloppy work. It wouldn't take much to program it to avoid that.

I seriously doubt I "fuss" with the laptop while on the road than anyone else would with a dedicated GPS unit. In any case, I never even look at it when in traffic coming towards or moving in front of me. My motto has always been safety first. If it means I miss a turn, so be it. I avoided the risk because of it. This is a big reason why I like the voice prompt telling me when to turn. I wouldn't have to look at it at all if I totally trusted it. In reality, I do look at it to confirm but only if there is no danger in doing so. I rarely go anywhere while towing without the gps running. And often while sightseeing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote