View Single Post
Old 11-23-2006, 07:11 AM   #12
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We take the "end point", maybe 6 months down the road, e.g. a school reunion we are committed to attend, and use Streets and Trips to plan out the route. Insert any particular "planned" stops along the way, e.g. visit to Aunt Sue, tour Hearst Castle, that sort of thing.

We plan about 6-7 hours enroute time/day. That includes an hour and half or so of misc stops each day. That figures out to about 250 mi/day. Strees and Trips will show its calculated "end of the day" locations for each leg. We then research available CG's in the area, insert them into the route and show an overnight stop at that location spot. Repeat the process as needed. We usually run about 2-3 months ahead in our planning, and refine it before each long (2-3 days)haul.

I always check each day's route the evening before, and make notes, especially the final little part and the phone # of the intended CG. I use this to cross check the GPS info from the Garmin unit we use enroute. Sort of a "belt and suspenders" deal.

We have the low clearance data base for Streets and Trips that Steve mentioned...so far, in 3+ years, it hasn't been a factor anywhere. Also, I always keep an eye on the clearance signage along the road. If it is real close I won't go. Only place like that so far was the tunnel from Zion Nat Park that goes to the North exit up to Bryce Canyon Nat Park. I decided that it "probably" would be OK, but elected to not try it. "Probably OK" doesn't EVER get the nod when even the remote possibility of getting stuck in a tunnel is the issue. Elected to just leave the Monty at Zion and spend the night at Bryce at Ruby's Lodge.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote