View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Slick Willie,
No one will argue, because no one is certain of what can be done. It is quite a guessing game. We intend to talk to the Starband experts in Yuma in December just to see what can be done to obtain more gain.

Orv
Orv,

I have compared the wireless card (SMC) to the flat panel. There is no comparison. Prior to that comparison, I had tried a couple other cards, and the SMC was way better than they Linksys and Orinoco cards. With the flat panel, I can pick up motels that are 3/4 mile away. (With merely the wireless card you might have trouble with reception in the motel.) I didn't try to log on to their internet, but the signal is there. Some of them, I can pick up without rotating the antenna. I caught some flame on the last thread about this issue, and that is why I said what I did about the pissing match. My intent is to only provide info on the testing I have done. Hopefully I can help someone. We've stopped in too many parks that say that "we have wifi, but you have to be close to the office to get it". If free wifi is offered, I sure don't want to pay fifty or sixty bucks for something else.

As far as Starband, I don't know about it. I seem to recall it is KU band, and from what I know, all of that is subject to weather conditions. Larger dish should help, but we can't carry a 12' dish on a fifth wheel.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote