View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #43
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I will just throw this out as JMHO only. I know some may not agree with me and I certainly am not trying to offend anyone who has posted here, BUT...

We are AMERICANS (and Canadians). We are not Europeans, Middle Eastern peoples, Africans, Indians, Asians, Chinese, Russians. Not even South Americans. We are American and Canadian. Our demographics, geographics, economics are different - even radically different - from the rest of the world. Our lifestyle is totally different. Therefore, what hurts us deeply as a culture, many times has little effect (and not the same effect) on another culture.

We as a culture will be greatly affected by $4.00-$5.00/gal fuel. European, Chinese, etc cultures are not going to be hurt nearly as badly as us. Yes, I know we will adapt. We would also adapt from a Nuclear Winter. What's your point??? My dad has a theory that we will all be on horseback in the next 20 years...

Did you ever get that silly lecture from your dad at the dinner table that you needed to be thankful for the food on your plate because of all the starving Ethiopians in Africa? I feel the same way about this. I don't care about how much anyone else on another continent is paying for fuel. My only concern regarding this is my own country and family, and how THEY will be affected in 12-24 months from now on their heating, grocery, fuel bill, etc.

Don't get me wrong - I have plenty of compassion for Darfur and other atrocities that are going on. I just don't think we should be feeling better about our fuel prices just because of what someone else - who will never have any affect on me or my family - is paying for their fuel on the other side of the planet (or the moon, or on Mars).

This country is going to be in pain if this ominous trend continues. I do not, and I will not feel more complacent/content/at peace with our increasing fuel prices because other cultures are paying "$100.00 a gal".

And that speech at the family dinner table didn't really endear the Ethiopian people to me either. There... that's off my chest after 45 years...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote