View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I highly recommend Carbonite (carbonite.com) for a cheap, "couldn't be easier," system to back up all your files, photos, etc., with no effort on your part. I learned about the program while reading Kim Komando's newsletter (komando.com); Kim is a computer guru with a great web site and super tips for computer users. Anyway, she had a code for a fairly extended free trial of Carbonite, so I went to the Carbonite site, logged in with the code, and fell in love with the program almost instantly.

Carbonite is an online, easy way to ensure your files/photos are safe no matter what. It costs under $50 a year, and once you download the program (which is brain-dead easy and takes less than 5 minutes), you don't have to do anything else.

I lost both computers and everything on the hard drives in a power company screw-up last summer. However, once I had the new computers up and running, I went to Carbonite and the "restore files" area, put in my codes, and there were all my files/photos--everything. With one click of a button, I downloaded everything I'd lost. (You can also pick and choose what you want to restore, so it's a good way to clean out your files at that point, if you want to, but I just reloaded everything with one click.) Carbonite has great reviews in the tech magazines, and I'm an advocate of it now. It works. It's easy. The customer service people, if you ever want to talk to a real person, are there for you--polite, helpful, understandable, patient . . . GREAT!

I wouldn't be without Carbonite now. I also back up everything on discs, but Carbonite is away from my computers and house, so if everything is lost here, Carbonite has it saved for me. If you want some other backup ideas, go to komando.com and play around on that site; for me, it's the "MOC" site of the computer world--lots of helpful folks, great help from Kim, great site recommendations.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote