View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #25
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
My dealer got around to inspecting our unit yesterday. I drove there with camera in hand expecting to see broken welds or some visible damage in the area where the pin box attaches to the frame but there was nothing!
The service manager contacted someone at the factory and was offered some guidance what to check.
1. We looked for visible cracks at the welded joints.
2. We checked the painted surfaces for and peeling or spider webbing.
3. We checked all other visible supports behind the main beams up front.
4. They said deflection of the pin box could be anywhere from 1 to 2 inches. WOW!! The way we checked it was placing a 12 ton floor jack directly beneath the pin box and lifting the trailer until the weight was off the front jacks. We did it several times and came up with an average of 1 1/16" at the front edge of the pin box. This seems to explain the floor movement. It appears when the constructed the closet wall they didn’t allow for this movement they know exist. The service manager is going to put a warranty claim in for the damaged wood panel.
5. We looked at all the supports to see if any were bent.
The only thing that I felt uncomfortable about was the condition of curved box beam that's located directly behind the bottom edge of the front cap. This is the forward most main support on the frame which measures approx 2"x6" and extends across the front of the trailer.
On the inside of the curve at both sides of the pin box mounting brackets the 6” side of the beam was concaved in as much as 13/16"! It just seems like a lot but appears as though it was constructed that way. If anyone has the opportunity to inspect there unit I’d be interested in knowing what you see. Pictures were sent to Keystone of all the above.
We closed the panel up and I took the trailer home.
I feel better having the opportunity to see the frame and document its condition. I’ll have to keep a close eye on it.
I posted some pics in my link to photos.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote