View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Repo,
That looks like an excellent inverter, just remember to mount it as close as possible to the batteries, use heavy enough wire and fuse between it and the battery, then run the 110v wire to the circuits you will use it on. Ozz has some good posts on how to hook that up with automatic transfer relays to change from shore power to inverter.
That is probably a job for an good electrician. I have a cheap 400 watt inverter that runs the entertainment center hooked up like that, but I unplug the items I am not using, all electronics have phantom loads even when off that use battery power uselessly. I also wired a remote switch turn the inverter off in the basement, couldn't stand the fan noise and thinking of almost an amp of draw at idle. I finally took the inverter apart and designed a temperature controlled fan circuit that only runs as fast as needed to keep the inverter cool, which is really slow and quiet even with the TV on, now it uses less than 1/10 amp at idle. Yours has both those features built in or available as options.
Conservation is the biggest hurdle, turning off unused lights, changing at least the most used ones to LED, running the W/H only when needed, the fridge on propane, coffee on the stove ect. I believe I would have had to go with more panels and batteries if we wanted the big inverter for the MW, so I decided to try it without. We have mostly dry camped for the last 4 years without it, but time will tell if DW can survive without it once she learns it can be hooked up.
Lots of info out there, probably too much. And lots of salesmen who see nothing but dollar signs when you walk thru the door. I do believe RV salesmen and Solar salesmen go to the same school.
PM me for advice where to get reasonable parts.

2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote