Thread: Generators
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Hey Mike. Hello from North Plains, OR. I see you are in Turner.....nice town.

Anyway, a minimum of 3000 watt generator, and that would be pushing it. I haven't yet done so, but plan to get two of the Honda 2000's, and parallel them to run the AC, IF the need ever arises. So far, it hasn't......! The analogy I can give is.......remember Eddie Albert and Ava Gabor in the "Green Acres" TV show? Remember the generator they had out back? And, remember how they had to make sure what load they put on it, so it wouldn't "conk out"....? Same principle applies here. What some people also forget is to include the converter/battery charger in the load calcs as well, it's one of those "out of sight, out of mind" things. Just add up your loads you are going to have, and you can figure out what you need from there. I discovered that the BIGGEST load, next to the AC, in our 3400.....is the wife's hair dryer.......1800 watts!!!! No wonder I smell burning hair sometimes......! I told her I'd use it for heating the trailer......!!! Also, portability factors in in a BIG way. Do you want to be able to carry the genset around, or mount it permanently? Of course, price will also factor in, and noise too. Are you going to be alone? If so, you could get a "contractor" generator....noisy. But, if you want quiet, then the Hondas, Yamahas, Subarus, etc, would be good choices.

Hope this helps.

Terry K.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote