View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #27
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
It is my opinion that an RV which will be attached to an electrical circuit (campground, RV park) should have some kind of electrical code requirements.

Although I don't have a copy of the NEC there is a section in there that applies to the manufacturers of RV's. I quote this reference from: http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarch...0~20050301.php

Quote: Article 551 Recreational Vehicles and Recreational Vehicle Parks

Article 551 is similar to Article 550. After all, RVs are similar to mobile homes. While mobile homes are essentially trailers, RVs are essentially vehicles. Thus, RVs have their own Article. RVs also have voltage converters, which mobile homes do not have. And other differences emerge as you look more closely.

While most of the requirements in Part II and Part III apply to the RV manufacturer, an electrician doing work in an RV must also comply with these requirements. For example, the low-voltage wiring in RVs must be made of copper. If you're used to wiring with THHN, you'll have to switch to some other kind of wire to install low-voltage wiring in an RV. Your choices are Type GXK, HDT, SGT, SGR and SXL.
If you're going to install an engine generator for an RV, you'll need to understand Part IV. Part V and Part VI are primarily for RV manufacturers.

The typical electrician starts to get involved in Article 551 with Part VII, which provides the requirements for RV parks. Perhaps the most important aspect of Part VII is understanding how to calculate loads and apply the demand factor, based on the number of RV sites in the park. It's also very important item to not connect a grounding electrode to the load side. Endquote.

I did find there were other reverences to the NEC code book and this Article 551 as well.

What all is involved I have no idea without specifics, but there appears to be some requirement of manufacturers regarding the NEC code. For what it's worth.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote