View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #55
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Unfortunately I do consulting for DOT companies. Mostly paperwork review to see their records are being kept properly.

If you are involved in a serious accident while your blood alcohol is over the limit or your vehicle is overweight the accident becomes your fault even if the other vehicle was driving on the wrong side of the road.

All vehicles involved in a serious accident in the state of Florida are subject to weighing just as all drivers involved in a serious accident are subject to alcohol testing. With the exception of commercial vehicles this is left up to the investigating officer. A serious accident involving a commercial vehicle the DOT regulations require drug and alcohol testing of the commercial driver and the investigating office cannot wave that.

Within the last year a fellow with the same attitude of “it will never happen to me” had a minor accident. They did weigh his TV and Montana. He was cited with the accident because he was overweight (Dodge 2500). It was one of those deals we see all the time a driver wanting to make a right turn ran around him and when he got in front of the rig slammed on the braked to make the turn. Normally in this state the driver of the vehicle that changed lanes to close the vehicle that hit him would be charged with the accident. Fortunately it was minor with no injuries and neither vehicle needed to be towed so the result was a fine.

I had had a conversation with him just a few months before. At least he had the courage to apologize to me for some of the things he had said during that conversation. He is now pulling his Montana with a Dodge 3500 DRW.

Why take the chance? If the CAT scale says you are overweight correct the issue.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote