View Single Post
Old 06-11-2005, 06:39 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Illapah, I just checked my '05 manual, too, and found the same as you. I don't have the '03 6.0 PSD manual anymore but am pretty sure it read differently, perhaps because the 6.0 was new and there were no "equivalents" out there. Maybe someone with an '03 will let us know what it says.

Anyhow, I found there are specification numbers for antifreeze and oil and any that meet that spec are ok.

Also, oil filter now says "or equivalent" but gives no specification number, unless that long number 3C3Z-6731-AA is intended as a spec number. I am just about positive in my '03 manual it said I had to use the Motorcraft filter but apparently there are now filters out there Ford considers acceptable. On page 37 it says "Use Ford engine Oil Filter Part No. 3C3Z-6731-AA (FL-2016) or equivalent. These filters protect your engine by filtering harmful, abrasive or sludge particles. The FL-2016 filters particles significantly smaller than most available "will-fit" filters." That leaves room for the equivalents. By the way, in Savannah, GA, the JiffyLube carries the Motorcraft oil and fuel filters but I've been unable to find any other JiffyLube that carries them.

For fuel filters it just lists the Ford part number, as you said. On page 16 it says "Replace the fuel filters with Ford Part No. FD-4604. This part number includes filters and seals for both the engine-mounted and frame-mounted filters." That one seems to leave no room for any other brand, at least at the time it was published.

For the air filter it also doesn't say anything about "or equivalent". It just says "When replacing the air filter element, use the Motorcraft air filter element listed." That filter is around a hundred bucks last time I asked but, fortunately, is supposed to last 70k to 100k in normal use, according to two different Ford techs I asked. And on my '03, the gauge showed just a low amount of blockage when we traded it at 51k miles.

On page 29 it says "Use only recommended fuel, lubricants, fluids and service parts conforming to Ford specifications," which is what you'd expect them to say.

I know the Rotella T meets Ford's specs for oil but I'll have to check around for filters meeting the specs. Maybe one of those mentioned above. I'll have to check this out. But air filter and fuel filter it appears I'll have to use the Motorcraft parts until they say it's ok to use an equivalent. I will not risk the 100k mile engine warranty over a few bucks for a filter. Just my approach to this, though. But soon as a cheaper part that meets the specs is available, then I'll switch.

Thanks for the clue on the new manual reading.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote