View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gary & Maggie, congratulations on the new truck. You asked about grade braking in the Rockies on I-25. I've not towed with the new GM but understand GM for 2006 is adding the variable vane geometry in the turbo like my 2003 and 2005 Powerstrokes have. For that reason I wanted to comment on the braking down mountain grades. I assume you are wondering if you need an exhaust brake. Like the TorqueShift, the Allison has the downshifting for grade braking. Now, like the Ford 6.0L PSD, the Duramax also will have exhaust backpressure when the turbo closes the vanes when off-throttle. This effectively acts like an exhaust brake. However, it probably will not be as effective as a true exhaust brake. We've towed our rig (total weight 22,920) through the Rockies on I-70 from west to east and through numerous mountains in both the east and west portions of this country. I am very pleased with the grade braking in my truck. I suspect your new truck will behave in a very similar manner. It is, of course, your call, but in your shoes I'd try it first, then decide whether an exhaust brake is needed.

Hope you enjoy the new truck. It should do a good job for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote