View Single Post
Old 05-20-2022, 06:23 AM   #45
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
wow

As much as I enjoy reading the anecdotes about growing up in the 50s, 60s, 40s, I really feel like some of the attitudes that some of the respondents on this thread are projecting on the "younger" generation are unfounded. It's impossible to know what a whole generation of people is thinking (and it's likely impossible to lump a whole "generation" of people into one group anyway, and does a disservice). What do you mean by younger people? Just because they do things differently, have different skills, life goals, milestones for success, can you put yourself in their shoes and see how growing up in a wildly different world may shape their lives differently than yours? Because without asking why/how they learned or didn't learn something, and approached it differently than you, you're assuming inferiority of integrity, ethics, etc. It comes off with really bad optics. The world is always changing. People adapt to their environment. Generalizations about a whole demographic are problematic because they're based not on any kind of wide field sample, but personal anecdotal experiences, which many have said both range from good to bad. I'm sure this won't go over well, but creating generational divides in a community by denigrating a population does not look good.