View Single Post
Old 05-01-2023, 06:04 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Knee Replacement Followup

On July 31, 2017 I had a total right knee replacement. Everything went well, and today I am, probably 99% where I use to be before the surgery. It's been almost 6 years now since the surgery.

The last follow up visit I had with my surgeon was at the 1 year mark. I was suppose to have a follow up at year 3 and then again at year 5 and then again at year 10.

When year 4 rolled around I asked my doctor why I never had any follow ups after year 1 and that's when he told me my surgeon retired (somewhere between my year 1 and year 2.) I asked asked him then to hook me up with a new surgeon, which never happened. I figured if my family doctor wasn't concerned, I shouldn't be either. I felt the knee was was just fine.

Well, my family doctor retired and I got another new family doctor in the same practice that took his place. On one of the first meeting with him I talked to him about my knee and he said he'd hook me up with a new surgeon for followups. Well, THAT never happened either.

So, here it is, going on almost 6 years. I am doing just fine! Really, Absolutely no issues at all. I still don't run, and yes, I can now even sit Indiana style again. But, it's been bugging me about not having any follow up visits for the knee. I figure the next time I see my family doctor I'll push it. I want to keep the doctors in the same network and I still need his referrals.

So, imagine my dismay when I got a letter in the mail from my health network stating there is a RECALL on my artificial knee!!!

The paper work gave me a phone number I need to contact, talked about insurance reimbursement and all of that, and where I need to get started to determine if my implant needs additional "maintenance" or not. YIKES!

Here's an exert from the letter I received:

"Dear Valued Patient,

Because the safety and health of our patients is our top priority, we are writing to inform you that between the years of 2004 and 2022, you received a specific type of partial or total knee replacement system that was manufactured by the orthopedic device company, Exactech, Inc, headquartered in Gainsville, Florida, USA.

Exactech, Inc, has recently implemented a recall of one component of the knee replacement device that you received and is communicating with surgeons and patients who have utilized this knee replacement model.

During a recent review of its knee implant manufacturing process, Exactech learned that one of the packaging layers for the plastic insert has been out-of-specification and may allow oxygen from the air to diffuse into the plastic insert prior to it being implanted in yur knee. If a large amount of oxygen diffuses into the plastic insert prior to it being implanted in your knee, this can lead to a process called oxidation, which can cause the plastic to wear out earlier than expected or to become damaged after it is implanted into the patient's body. ... "

HAS ANYONE ELSE RECEIVED THIS NOTICE? I'm calling the number today to see what has to be done, how, and when.

If you have not received this notice, you might check with your family doctor or your knee replacement surgeon (if they are still in business and not retired).

I'm not sure how this is going to work out, especially since both my original doctors in 2017 are now retired. But, it's still the same network, so hopefully this will all work out ok.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote