View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I have not owned a MH but thought I was going to get one when I retired.

Have had trailers decades. Like, maybe sort of "love" them. But, when we retired DW said she had always wanted a MH. I said if that is what it is it will be a nice DP. That was 14 years ago. Started checking them out and she wanted to be able to do stuff inside while you travel; make sandwiches, potty, nap etc. In love with the "idea". So we ran it down to some model Tiffin, somewhere in the 500k realm "but we can sell it cheaper" per the salesman. DW got serious...and so did I.

That extra drivetrain/chassis etc. is going to cost money to maintain (not cheap). If you let it sit 6 months at a time even more so. The interior was not as big as a nice 5th wheel and they cost 75% less...no drivetrain to maintain or die on you. You have to have a toad that we would use for nothing else...another drivetrain sitting. We were going to buy it outright and I told her that was a TON of stranded money we were dumping into that we wouldn't use that much, require constant upkeep and not give us the space we like. She was on/off the fence so we went back and we took it out for a drive. I LIKE pulling trailers, I'm used to it; it's sort of 2nd nature. I hated that drive. I hated feeling blind and trying to negotiate that thing....and I didn't even have a toad on the back. We got back to the dealership, I handed him the keys and thanked him and told him there was no way I was going to ruin my retirement fighting that thing.

Lots of folks love them....and I love looking at them but the practical side of the equation, for me, always trumps the "pretty" or DWs "wants" (at least a few times ). In this case as has been pointed out, there is more to the story which may make the MH THE thing for you - only you know and best wishes on figuring that out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote