View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 05:48 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We have a front living room. Bedroom is in the rear. The closet runs the entire width of the far back end. On our maiden voyage, the entire closet shelf, cloths bar and everything collapsed completely.

Long, long story made short: I put a support on each end of the closet shelf and Liquid Nails attached the boards to the wall. Then run from the bottom of the closet floor to the bottom of the shelf, which also supports the cloths bar. In those boards, I accomidated a cut-out for the cloths bar at each end. This took all the weight of the cloths off the shelf and onto the upright support.

The cloths bar is attached to the underside of the shelf. The shelf itself was still sagging in the middle where the cloths bar is attached also. Although it meant cutting the closet into 2 sections, I added an additional support with 1x 12 from the floor to the bottom of the shelf, with a hole in the middle to support the cloths bar, again so it's weight would not be on the shelf, but completely on the upright support from the floor.

It worked. It did take some careful rigging to get that cloths bar through the holes in those boards and still attach to the under side of the shelf, but I finally got it.

Ever since, the cloths bar has been rock solid, in spite of the massive amounts of bouncing that happens at the tail end of a 41 foot trailer.

My suggestion for you. Forget completely about reattaching to the ceiling. Functionality is far more important than appearance. Rebuild the closet yourself, supporting the cloths bar from the floor up and disconnect it completely from the ceiling (if that's how yours is attached).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote