View Single Post
Old 05-18-2022, 07:00 PM   #33
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Yeah, many things are more reliable now. And certainly more high tech. But few of us, no matter the age, can repair most of those things. There was a time when we could repair most everything for very little money. Or have it repaired for a small fraction of the cost of new. Not much was thrown away unless just totally ruined.

We didn’t have a lot, but didn’t miss it because we had never had it. We were simply happy with what we did have. Even in Texas we never had air conditioning until I as grown and gone. And gas space heaters were turned off before bedtime due to carbon monoxide concerns, even if temps were in the teens or single digits. Just used 1, 2, or 3 of granny’s quilts depending on how cold. TV had 4 B&W channels that signed off about 11:00 PM and signed back on around 6:00 AM. But we were usually outside playing anyway. With other kids. Face to face. Making up games.

And as kids we roamed the neighborhood from one friend’s house to another, even after dark without fear. There were disagreements, and occasional fights. But they walked away afterward, maybe never friends, but not revenge seeking enemies. No guns or knives. No gangs. And no drugs.

People disagreed on politics and religion. But not with the hatred of today. You expressed your opinion and moved on. And if your candidate lost you still respected the office and supported the country. College kids didn’t need time off from classes to mourn because their candidate lost. And, heaven forbid, if we ever get into another major war do your think the younger generation will rush out to help protect our country?

The internet is great in many respects. But social media has become one of the worst things ever invented. The division and hatred it constantly spreads does not bode well for our country’s future. I am glad I will not be around to see it that far. And I hate to think how the future will be for my grandkids about to move into their 20’s.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote