Thread: Surge Guard
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 07:34 AM   #36
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

Orv--I'm curious to know what size (i.e., amps) your Surge Guard and Autoformer are and whether you need to use a variety of adapters when you do hookups.
David, I use a 30-amp Surge Guard when connected to 30- or 20-amp power. I only have a 50-amp autoformer so I use that when necessary with 50- and 30-amp power. I naturally use a 50-amp Surge Guard when connected with 50-amp power, though I could use it with 30-amp power, it just takes more adapters. When I use the 50-amp autoformer with 30-amp power, it takes a 30-amp male to 50-amp female, then plug in the autoformer. It then takes a 50-amp male to 30-amp female, then plug in a 30-amp cable or the 30-amp Surge Guard and then the 30-amp cable.

Because I hide my units out of sight behind the left wheels, I use an extra length of cable.

One thing a person has to be extra careful of is to make sure the connections are tight. Loose connections create heat when the current flows and will burn up the plugs.

You may have noticed, if you've done any living in your unit at all, that sometimes the male plug looks like it is melting and the pins are all discolored. That's from loose plugs. I try to keep mine as tight as possible. In fact I use a little extra precaution by wrapping a ty-wrap around the connection and pulling it tight. This prevents any loosening of the connection. When I get ready to leave I just snip the ty-wrap.

Actually, the fewer connections you can use, the better. But taking everything into consideration, low power, surges, thieves, etc., my setup works for me. Someone may say that it costs a lot of money to do what I do but this is my home, I don't have a stick house, so I invest what I think I need. If I were to get another home on wheels, I would consider having some of the stuff built in before I ever get it. The reason I don't have it built in right now is because we don't know if we will keep this one or not (everyone keeps talking about that 3400RL!!!)

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote