Thread: Backup camera
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2022, 01:42 PM   #18
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
To follow up on the previous discussion. The camera was waiting for me when I arrived home. It did contain the Furrion mount and a pigtail so there is no need to contact the vendor about that. However, they offer you a free choice of another camera, or some Bluetooth doodad, or an OBD Port code reader, or something I don't remember as a reward for buying the unit. Getting one of these does require you email them for the "gift.

I was able to mount the camera pretty easily as I had previously tried a camera that sucked. I did use the bracket from the old camera as its holes lined up with the ones in the fiberglass and the new bracket didn't.

I had bench tested the camera and display before installation. They provide extra cables and a "combiner" device to make it easy. Once the camera was mounted, I turned on the running lights to get it hot. I then took the display out to the front driveway and plugged it into the truck. The RV is in the side yard about 100' from the truck with the house in between. The display has a great picture (and I haven't even taken the protective plastic screen off yet) and indicates a strong signal. I did hook the truck up as that was the downfall of the previous camera setup. With the camera on the back wall of the RV and the display on the dash almost under the front cap, the other system didn't have enough signal strength for a decent picture. This system does.

The next challenge is figuring out how to mount the display.. The Ford dash isn't hospitable to a 7" screen. It does sit nicely down by the cup holders, but management isn't going to like the loss of use of two of them. I think I can strap/band the display to the rear view mirror since it is useless when towing.

The next test is how is performs out on the road. Our next trip is a month away. I can't wait.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote