View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 03:54 PM   #18
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHallof View Post
I do exactly what 7.3 Ford does. Never an issue. EazyPeazy! I have the same truck with RAM Air.

If memory serves me correctly the ALT HITCH HEIGHT is for use with bumper hitch trailers. Not goose or 5th...Could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that that's what it was intended for.
My understanding is that ALT Hitch Height reduces the pressure in the air bags. On the 2500, it is a full air spring instead of coils. On the 3500 it is air bags that supplement the leaf springs (there is less leaf springs so this is not the same as just adding aftermarket air bags to leaf springs).
The reason this is important is twofold:
1-it will lower the truck about an inch so that it tows more level. I would argue this is more important for a 5th wheel than bumper hitch travel trailer as you can get drop hitches for those. (note the 2500 will drop immediately due to its full air spring, but the 3500's do not drop much when empty as the leaf pack still supports the empty truck, but once the load is applied the truck will sit about 1"-1.5" lower)

2-reducing air prevents air bag blowouts. I have not heard of this happening on a 3500, but there are a number of 2500 users on the Ram forum who have not used ALT hitch height and suffered an airbag rupture when towing and hitting a large bump. Again I would argue this is just as much or more important on a 5th wheel; especially a large 5th wheel like a Montana.

I have always used ALT hitch height when towing. I don't see a reason not to.

However, for RAM 3500 users, it's important to understand the system - the leafs will prevent it from dropping much when empty, so don't expect it to help much with lowering the bed for hitching.

Brad