View Single Post
Old 01-30-2021, 06:54 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
My cord did the same thing and as a result I ended up purchasing a second entire cord (although shorter) and an extension in the event the original one had total failure. I then used black electric tape and just taped up the gap in the original one real good and when connecting to shore power, I do all I can to take the weight off the plug by lifting the wire or wrapping the wire so it's own weight is not pulling downward as much. I've not had the tape come off and no exposed wires again for over a year now, plugged in 24x7x365 at home and camping.

My biggest concern doing this, was thinking there was stress being pulled on the actual wires (not the sheathing around them). But after watching the video above, it's obvious there's nothing wrong with the wires themselves. There's no extra stress on them, or any damage of them pulling out, breaking, or wearing. It's quite obvious the only problem is the rubber sheath around the wires has shrunk, causing it to pull away from the plug end. This is greatly encouraging for me, that there is really nothing functional wrong with the plug or wires at all. It' just the rubber sheath that's shrunk and pulled away. So, my black electrical tape will probably serve well for a long time. And I did wrap it pretty thick and and down the rubber sheath about 6 inches and over the top of the plug and all around. I think I used almost an entire roll of tape on it.

This is good to know. I've not had to use my "back-up" cord yet. I don't feel bad spending over $200 for the second cord, and another $200 for the extension. I've used the extension with the original a few times and I was glad I had it every time. When you go to Indiana State Parks, you just never know where the shore power post lo is going to be located.

Thank-you for the video.

I think the photo below was taken before I wrapped up the wire, and before I purchased the new one too. Looping the wire over the top helps reduce the weight pulling on the plug. I don't know if it helps anything or not, but it certainly does not hurt.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote