View Single Post
Old 03-08-2023, 10:34 AM   #1
tjblocker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23122
Issues with my 2022 3231CK; perhaps issues with other units.

Preview: In what follows I'm going to discuss issues I've had with my <1 yr old 2022 3231CK. This includes issues with brakes, fridge, and the roller blinds. I'm posting this in hopes of helping others, and I'm not necessarily seeking advice

Brakes:
My trailer has drum brakes and these have never worked very well. I once complained to the dealer but was told to burnish (break in) the brakes. They did improve slightly but they've always been pretty lame. I fear being brake checked. I've ordered a disc brake upgrade but I just made a discovery that might interest anyone having brake troubles. My 2019 Ram 3500 Cummins has four trailer brake settings. These are light electric, heavy electric, light hydraulic, and heavy hydraulic (mine was set on light electric). I just discovered these settings this morning and don't know if setting mine from light to heavy will correct the issue. Regardless, I'm upgrading to disc. If you have brake troubles look into the settings for your TV brake controller. If you're buying new I strongly suggest that you insist on disc brakes. There's a reason that nearly all auto have moved to disc brakes.

Fridge:
Mine came with a Norcold 2118 absorption unit. When outside temps get around 100 degrees the fridge worked very poorly. Freezer temps were around 20 degrees and fridge temps were 45-50 degrees. I upgraded my cooling unit to an Amish 12 volt vapor compression (i.e. residential) fridge. Today my freezer temps are never above 0 and fridge temps range from 33 to 40. In other words perfect. Solar proves nearly 100% of my power for my fridge (1400 watts generation)

Roller Shade:
Our trailer came with day/night roller shades. I love the function and look of these shades, but they have an achilles heel. Internally there's a small lame plastic part that engages the roller with the spring. This breaks and as a result the spring loses its tension and the blinds unroll completely and won't roll up. If you see this part I bet you will agree with me when I say that this terrible feeble part is ridiculous. I currently have three blinds that are broken like this. This tiny part should have been steel.

I posted this in hopes someone else might benefit from my experiences with my Monty. Hope this helps someone.

Cheers
Tom
B&W puck system hitch
tjblocker is offline   Reply With Quote