View Single Post
Old 08-25-2022, 12:44 PM   #14
TwoBrewDogs

M.O.C. #22327
Great thread and fix. 2015 Montana, 3611RL here.

I have repaired some of my Darco using metallic duct tape. It sticks very well and does the job, for now. I see some UHMW strips in my future however as this is a ridiculous problem for these RVs to have.

My bedroom slide seems to have some form of plastic sheet as its bottom and it rides on a few plastic rollers. No issues here.

The dining slide would appear to have one continuous white plastic strip it rides over. The Darco rip resulted in staining the carpet at the rear of the slide. For now, all seems fixed.

The kitchen slide has a horizontal rubber seal across the face where the slide floor goes into the coach. In fact, an 8" section tore off today... I see no white plastic strip. I do however have some noticeable wear stripes every couple of feet along the width of the slide out bottom. This leads me to believe that this slide out uses rollers like the bedroom one. Yet it still has Darco.... This slide also makes the most noise when moving in and out. It has the stove, residential fridge, pantry, TV cabinet and fireplace all in that slide, so I'm sure it's heavy.

My question to you is this; by only having the UHMW plastic under a portion (outer edges in your case) of the slide, are you introducing any bowing by the center of the slide not also having that extra thickness? Or is 1/8" just too little to worry about? I'm wondering if I would need extra strips over more of the rollers to prevent any issues.

You also said you would slide the UHMW on top of the wear strip rather than beveling it and letting it ride up if you were to do this again. That sounds like an improvement. How does one lift the slide up the little bit necessary to accomplish this? As there would be less horizontal force on the UHMW strip's front edge, I see no need to change the position of your first set of screws.

Again, great modification that a lot of people will end up using. Thanks.
TwoBrewDogs is offline   Reply With Quote