Thread: Airbags
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 04:14 PM   #51
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
Mikelff....thanks for posting those stickers. I've been on this forum for a number of years and do not recall anybody doing what you have done to improve their trucks. If you are going to add a truck to your on line signature, I suggest you add a statement re the new DOT stickers. There are a lot of new people who ask tow questions on this forum and get a lot of bad advice from the 250/2500 drivers who like to say how great their trucks are. So the the new driver goes out and buys a truck and finds out later it does not have the ability to carry the pin weight and remain within limits. You would be doing them a favor.
Thanks, I’ll have to do that. If it wasn’t for the dealer I bought the RV from, I wouldn’t have known about how to have certified mods done. It was interesting to find out that once the vehicle leaves the manufacturer, all their declared ratings cannot be changed except by them, however, modifications can be done and are governed by the DOT once the vehicle leaves the manufacturer. They are legal and presumed safe if they are performed by a certified modifier and require that new sticker to show the new ratings and were done by a certified modifier and done to DOT specs. The modifier assumes legal liability for performing the mods according to the DOT specs, so maybe that’s why these modifiers are hard to find? Don’t know. There also are limits to how much you can modify a vehicle. Don't know all the details about that because I never had to go there. To your point, my 2500 was NOT able to safely carry the 5er load that I bought. I would have been grossly overweight. Had I been able to find a used late model 3500 at the time, I would have bought it vs the 2500. For those that make the mistake and buy the truck first like I did, there are options to modify it or buy a different truck.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote