View Single Post
Old 09-25-2022, 05:17 PM   #1
DCB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22743
Smile Batteries for Dummies

Is there a simple, foolproof type of battery to buy and maintain for a 5th wheel? Due to family health issues, my trailer is only getting used once or twice a year for a few days each. I think I've ruined a good pair of 2-year-old Interstate lead-acid batteries by allowing them to drain completely, not realizing I had maybe a couple options available to me to keep that from happening, I only know about those options now because a recent acquaintance who is an RV mechanic was nice enough to come out to my storage location to help with a different matter.

I would like to get away from having to maintain battery water levels.

I would like to be able to park the trailer and not have to worry about the batteries. Is that possible?

I am capable of hooking up a trickle charger if I have to. BUT, is there a way to do so which doesn't require checking things every so often? It would be really great if there was a means of monitoring the system remotely, without having to visit the storage facility to see if the power's still on, if the charger is working, etc.

I believe I am now capable of disconnecting the batteries if I have to.

I do not want to have to remove the batteries from the trailer.

I live in Illinois, so cold winters are a reality.

We don't dry camp much/at all. We would possibly stop overnight at a Walmart or Cracker Barrel, but only if weather conditions are so ideal that we wouldn't have to use the HVAC. The couple of times we've tried it, the batteries have been insufficient to get us through the night.

What is the simplest, most foolproof, most reliable solution? TIA!!
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote