View Single Post
Old 08-23-2023, 10:22 PM   #17
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I mount and balance my own tires. I have had the metal Enkie valve stems with TST flow thru sensors on them on both my rv and tv for 10 years with no leaks. I have recently replaced my TST system with the Tire Minder system and installed internal sensors on all my wheels.
The Enkie valve stems that I have used for 10 years have 2 nuts on them. Both on the inside. It also has 2 rubber grommets one on the inside and one on the outside of the wheel. The first nut is to secure the valve stem to the wheel. The second nut is a lock nut to keep it tight. When I installed the first nut, per Enkie's installation instructions, I would torque it down to 30-35 in lbs. At that point you would see the grommet on the outside start to expand ( not deform) under the washer and you knew it was tight against the wheel. Then while holding the first nut with an open end wrench, to keep it from moving, I would install the second lock nut and tighten it against the first nut. I never had any come loose or leak from any of my wheels.
Not counting flats, all the tire and wheel issues I've had were caused by the tire shop employee's incompetents, not caring or knowing how to mount tires. I had 2 of my polished Aluminum wheel on my dually damaged by 2 different tire shops because of incompetents years ago. It was at that point I decided to purchase a Tire machine and wheel balancer off eBay to keep in my garage. I mount all my tire and fix all my flats. Beside the occasional flat, I have never had another tire, valve stem or slow leak issue from tire shop incompetents ever since.