View Single Post
Old 12-24-2023, 05:13 AM   #16
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
My rig doesn't have the auto changeover feature, but I like what I'm reading.

A few things to remember about a heat pump: The heating output is the same or slightly less than the cooling output. The 15K BTU heat pump is <40% of capacity of the 40K BTU furnace. Even on a 50 degree day, the discharge air temperature on a heat pump will only be slightly higher than normal body temperature, it will feel cool. The lower the outdoor temps go, the lower the discharge air temp goes. The discharge air temperature for the gas furnace should be in the 120-130 degree range. Do the math, how much quicker will the furnace overcome a 5 degree delta than a heat pump?

I believe all of the RV AC manufacturers offer a resistance heat strip as an OEM option, or add-on. I briefly looked at one and decided against. They are only 1.5 KW which is barely more than 5K BTU. The controls switch the compressor off and the resistance heat on at a preset outdoor temp. A 1.5KW strip is approaching all you can run off the 20 amp circuit. It didn't take long to realize I could buy some portable heaters for what the heat strip would cost.

I really like the idea of the auto changeover; I'm planning on adding the MicroAire thermostats before spring, I'll research to see if they will give me this option. A heat pump is much better suited for maintaining a temperature within a degree or two span than overcoming a 5 degree or more delta.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote