Thread: RV Inspection
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 10:21 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Off topic: Personally, I don't put any value in inspectors. Why? Every try to sell a house and the potential buyer wants an inspection? The inspector comes out and does the inspection and find x, y, and z items don't meet his satisfaction. He writes it down on his final report. The report is given to the potential buyer. They buyer says if x, y, and z are fixed to expectations, they'll take the house. Now the seller (me) takes the time and the expense to fix x, y, and z and submits proof of the repairs or fixes or changes back to the real estate agent who sends it on to the potential buyer.

The potential buyer is now satisfied and proceeds to get the loan. Their loan is denied. The deal is off.

Along comes the second potential buyer. Again, another inspection (a different inspector). This time the "inspector" sees that a, b, and c are needing attention and the expectation is the seller will make those corrections, changes, or fixes.

So, the thing that drove us batty was, why didn't the first inspector also identify a,b, and c when he identified x, y, and z? The answer is, because each and every "inspector" is different. There are no "standards" in this industry. What one "inspector" identifies as "item" another one may just skip over completely.

True story: The first inspector caught that, in the attic of the house, there was a Romax connector missing at a wiring junction. The wire ran into the metal box, but the round metal thing that surrounds the wire in the hole and screws down tight was missing. No problem. Easy fix. I did it myself, and took photos that the thing was fixed. .... But, in my own crawling around in the insulation in the attic, I found a second connection. And it did not have the Romax connectors either. I let it go.

That first potential buyer went belly up. Their loan did not go through. Second inspector? He completely missed the second junction also. I didn't say anything. I did not want to do the work again. The house sold. As far as I know, to this day, that wire junction in the attic of that house, still does not have that Romax connector on there.

That was only 1 of several small items the house got pinged for, and the first inspector missed a bunch of stuff the second one spotted. Some items, the second potential owner said, "ah! who cares! That doesn't need to be fixed." They were right decent about everything.

Inspectors? I wouldn't waste my money on them. And the RV industry is even more "loosie goosie" than the housing industry.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote