View Single Post
Old 12-04-2023, 08:31 AM   #10
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Welcome! We have traveled in mildly freezing conditions for three straight years now when moving south for the winter. The advise above is very good. One thing I did not see was the line for the ice maker mentioned. We blow that line out with air and cap it off in the fall and leave it capped off until we get to Florida, or warm weather. It is exposed under the kitchen slide and will freeze in cold weather. Not sure if your model is the same but I suspect it may be if you have an ice maker. We don’t use lots of ice so we just fill the ice bucket in the freezer with ice from the house before we leave and it lasts about a month before I have to hook the line back up.
If the temps are above 40 and going to dip to about 30, we heat the trailer with the furnace or the heat pump, shut that off at bed time and run the fireplace all night. We will wake up to about 60 degrees in the morning and then fire the furnace to bring it back up and then depending on the weather, the fireplace may hold it or use the heat pump. The heat pump will heat the trailer fine so long as the outside temps are 38-40 or above. If it’s going to get colder at night, we leave the fireplace on and set the furnace at 60 and turn on the tank heaters, as mentioned above the tank heaters are thermostatically controlled, I think they cycle on below 45 degrees as long as the switches are on. Last year we got caught up in that fridgid weather just before Christmas and that worked fine at 10 degrees. Just keep in mind that the water lines in the belly are only heated when the gas furnace is being used, so when it’s really cold, have the gas furnace in play.
We have found that some campgrounds that are open in the winter have self draining hydrants and ask that you fill your tank, close the hydrant valve and then disconnect your hose. Others have heat taped and covered hose faucets that you can use a heated water hose with. The first couple of nights will be your learning experience to see what method or combination of methods work for you.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote