View Single Post
Old 07-11-2022, 11:39 PM   #2
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Congrats on your plan to go lithium! Is Pointblank in Texas? First, locating the battery(s) as close as possible to your other 12 volt cabling, inverter, transfer switch, fuse panel etc., is a wise one. By MPPT I assume you are referring to some type of solar system/panels. Depending on your total battery storage capacity and solar panel sizes, you may be able to use 12 volt heating pads to protect your lithium batteries from freezing temperatures. The BMS of lithium batteries protects them from being charged when they fall below an internal temperature of 32 degrees. A strong lithium system contains several elements such as 400ah or greater battery capacity, 600+ watts of solar panels, a 60 amp solar charger, a shunt to measure current flow in and out of batteries, direct current rated circuit breaker between solar panels and MPPT controller, main battery disconnect, 300 amp fuse at battery output, separate battery bus bar terminals to combine negative cables and positive cables. A safety note: always connect battery to solar controller first, then solar panels can be connected to solar controller. I use a transfer switch to connect all my outlets to the inverter when boondocking. A push of a button on the inverter remote activates the transfer switch to send power to both legs of the 120 volt outlets. Just have to make sure the breaker to voltage converter is off and to run water heater and refrigerator off of propane. No, you won't be able to run the a/c units off of your batteries, but a second transfer switch to introduce a generator can add that to your Swiss army knife system.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote