View Single Post
Old 07-02-2023, 10:04 AM   #12
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Sometimes I have posted a solution to a problem that I know nothing about...like my post #8 above. I had no idea how the steps were constructed in my RV. My stair tread suggestion will not work. Well - let me make some corrections.

We are out on a short trip this weekend and I felt hot air everytime I went from the bedroom to the living room and vice versa. I have read threads here on the forum about how lots of folks cover the wood louvers on the step risers to prevent hot air from getting into the coach from the basement. I had never really looked at this. Fortunately I found a screw bit that would work for the louver screws - removed the top louver completely but my bottom louver has the connection to the built-in vacuum, so I just moved it out enough to get a piece of cardboard behind the louvers. I put a piece of cardboard behind the top louver...cuts way down on the hot air coming thru. I'm sure there are better ways to do this. I have even seen someone here post about a custom made wood louver with a moveable/slide closure built in.

However - my intention is not to hijack the thread with ways to stop the basement heat migration. My intention is to provide the rough sketch below so folks can see how the steps are built. Knowing how they are put together changes recommendations for a fix to the OPs problem. Notice how the first tread is full width and the top tread is framed over it. Frankly - I am stumped. If the plastic laminate is flaking off (it is my assumption that the step's surface material is plastic lam - I really don't know what it is for sure) - I only see two options...simply cover up the tread with a sticky-stuck carpet/tread cover...or start over and completely rebuild the steps using tread material from Trekwood...or some other wood material of your choice.

See cross-section sketch below...and as architects always state - do NOT scale this drawing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-07-02_10-31-26.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	14900  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote