View Single Post
Old 08-29-2022, 04:22 PM   #17
tjblocker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23122
Ford, Chevy, and Ram all three use a high pressure fuel pump by Bosch called the CP4 pump. This pump comes from Europe where the standards applied to diesel are much stricter than those in the USA. Thus, due to lack of lubrication, these pumps self-destruct sending metal particles throughout the fuel system. The CP4 pumps have been grenading in all three manufactures. One grenaded a 2011 Duramax I had. The estimate for repairs was 12,000-14,000 dollars. This POS nickle and dimed me real bad (actually the repairs were from 100's to over 1000 dollars. The check engine light was on more than it was off. (almost anyway). I also had one Super Duty that was an even bigger POS. The turbo in this truck sounded like a jet engine.

While all three heavy duty diesel manufactures are having serious problems with the CP4, only one has issued a recall (Ram). Ford seems to be having less trouble with it. The Duramax had no lift pump, so the CP4 pump was starved for lubrication. And... my Duramax coded for the DEF system several times costing me well over $1000. Work on these systems is insanely expensive.

DEF systems in the ~2011 trucks were very rushed and not ready for prime time. In 2019 they were still problematic.
B&W puck system hitch
tjblocker is offline   Reply With Quote